Please join me for my TDWI presentation.
When: July 20th, 2016. 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
Where: TDWI Accellerate, Boston, The Westin Copy Place
Enabling Self-Service Analytics
The Holy Grail of business intelligence has long been self-service analytics where business people can access and analyze information without getting stuck in a lengthy IT backlog. Too often self-service is interpreted to simply mean buying the “right” analytical tool and getting IT “out of the way”. Although this appeals to the two myths perpetuated by tools vendors – tools are the answer and IT is the primary bottleneck – it is naïve and leads to an analytical “trough of disillusionment”.
Not all data, integration, governance and analytical needs are the same and neither are the business analytical skills. This session first examines how to identify and then position those needs into a self-service analytics needs matrix.
This session will discuss the different architectures, processes and best practices that have been successful in fulfilling different analytics needs and users in an enterprise. Also, the common mistakes made and pitfalls encountered by initial self-service efforts will be highlighted.
You Will Learn
- How to classify analytical users by skills and needs
- How to position data integration, data preparation & data blending technologies
- How and when to leverage traditional BI versus data discovery tools
- Impact of governance
- Data architecture & database technologies needed to enable self-service analytics
- Business managers and end users; BI directors; business analysts; BI application owners; data management staff; program and project managers; all non-IT business audiences